National Business Lawyers Based in Indiana Supporting Every Step of Your Business Journey
Business ownership is a journey. It’s a lot like life with plenty of unchartered territories, twists and turns, and highs and lows.
It just so happens that managing through the unknown and avoiding blind spots is our sweet spot. Our team offers the proactive legal partnership and business resources you need to prevent legal issues and protect your assets in life and business.
Whether you’re a startup, a seasoned business, or a company looking to acquire another business, we can help you take action in every stage of your company by:
- Starting a business and legally forming the right entity for your goals, financial and otherwise
- Litigating lawsuits and business disputes
- Writing contracts, agreements, and provisions as other businesses, partners, clients, stakeholders, and investors are involved
- Merging with or buying and selling a company
- Breaches of contract
- Resolving business issues and claims
- Compliance and risk management
- Managing real estate and other property disputes
Whatever chapter of business you’re in, a business lawyer with Katie Charleston Law, P.C. can help you prevent, avoid and manage through the unexpected and protect your assets.
What is a Business Lawyer?
A good business attorney will be your partner through the many ups and downs of business ownership, from starting a business to operating a more seasoned enterprise. Business attorneys get involved in multiple stages of business, and the best time to hire legal support is before there’s a problem.
Our business lawyers play a role in educating business owners on applicable Indiana laws and business practices to ensure you stay compliant and follow the rules and regulations accordingly. Additionally, we represent companies if and when legal disputes arise.
In more context, the day-to-day involvement of our business attorneys might include:
- Choosing and forming a business entity: Business attorneys will help you determine the right legal entity for your long-term goals, as well as the best structure for tax benefits and such. This might include LLCs, partnerships, and joint ventures, among others.
- Reviewing and drafting agreements and contracts: Securing partnerships with investors, other business partners, or entering into deals with clients, a business attorney will be instrumental in drafting legal agreements that help prevent disagreements down the road.
- Employment issues: As your company expands with more employees, you might run into wrongful termination lawsuits and labor law compliance issues.
- Intellectual property protection: For companies with products, innovation, and other proprietary services, business attorneys with intellectual property knowledge can help your business obtain trademarks, copyrights, and patents to protect your creative contributions.
- Business litigation: If your company gets hit with a lawsuit or you find yourself involved in a dispute with an employee, client, or business partner, our business attorneys will represent you and fight for the best possible outcome.
It’s not a matter of if you’ll need business lawyers in Indiana, but when.
How Can a Lawyer Help My Business?
When you’re starting or running a business, you’re faced with a unique set of challenges every day. Wearing multiple hats, dealing with clients, sales and marketing, staffing, and much, much more.
With these responsibilities and the general nature of business, you can get so busy being busy that when you find yourself with a bad employee or a poor business deal, you’re not legally prepared to deal with the ramifications, not to mention the disruption.
For instance, your startup legal needs look much different and will change when you transition to a fully operational and seasoned enterprise. Our steadfast legal support and leadership will be there to guide and protect your decisions and change your business.
As you’re starting your company, for example, we can help by implementing the right legal building blocks to avoid issues down the road. That might include helping you choose the right business entity or designating the appropriate intellectual property (copyrights, trademarks, or patents) for your product innovations.
Let’s say your business is more seasoned, and you’re expanding. Bringing on new employees might demand updated handbooks and policies or legal assistance should complaints of wrongful termination issues arise.
Another example might include the need for updated contracts and agreements now that you have more value in your company. We can design the right contracts and agreements as you bring on clients, vendors, or new business partnerships.
You will benefit from a partnership, like our business attorneys, to help navigate the different phases of business and mitigate risk, from startup to seasoned to acquisitions.
How Can a Lawyer Help Me Acquire a Business?
If your business is ready for expansion, you might consider merging with or acquiring another company. Merging with a company or buying or selling your company is a complex, lengthy process with several financial and operational risks involved, among other risks.
We treat every business, acquisition, and transaction as unique. Being part of several transactions, our business attorneys can play an instrumental role in preventing bad business deals and, frankly, bad blood between stakeholders, investors, and business partners.
Katie Charleston Law, P.C. can step in, organize and facilitate the process to ensure a seamless transaction, from the deal to purchase, by:
- Finding and selecting appropriate financing
- Setting primary negotiations, terms, and payments for buyers and sellers
- Acting as an intermediary with multiple professionals involved, from bankers to brokers to accountants to other experienced business lawyers
- Offering advice and consultation regarding the drafting, negotiation, and performance of contracts
- Drafting and filing paperwork to legally bind the transaction
- Litigate business disputes and issues related to the contract, particularly if a contract has been breached
Rely on our business lawyers for the transaction to avoid risks and liabilities throughout the transaction or sales process.
Protect Your Business with a Free Consultation
Plain and simple, protecting your business, whether you’re a startup or a more seasoned business, is a smart business decision. And of all the business decisions you make, you can be certain this is one you won’t likely regret.
Consider for a moment that 20 million civil cases are filed every year in America, and half of these cases are contract disputes or employment disputes targeted at businesses, according to fundera.com. The cost to defend a lawsuit, alone, can put a company out of business.
Our business lawyers with Katie Charleston Law, P.C. can relate as we counsel, represent, and partner with a variety of companies, large and small, on business-related matters, litigation, and disputes.
Our proactive approach and partnership style with our clients is how we differ from other law firms. We creatively counsel businesses on important decisions every day, and our problem-solving and proactive support help our clients avoid unnecessary risks, keeping their businesses in check; as more complex situations arise, we’re at the ready to handle complex disputes and litigation.
Get clarity on your business journey and learn how our business legal services can protect your business. Call Katie Charleston Law, P.C. at (317) 663-9190 today and book a free consultation!